Xserver problems with unstable

Hi:

 I recently changed from woody to unstable. Initially had some
 problems because some packages had been removed and others had not
 been installed. But by repeated use of apt-get -f now it seems OK.
 apt-get check gives no errors.

 However I have problems running Xwindows. I have an TVGA8900D card
 and I am using XF86_SVGA server. This was what I had been using
 successfully with woody.  I ran xf86config and copied the clock lines
 from my previous XF86Config file to XF86Config-4.  I also changed
 the driver from vga to "trident", following instructions in the
 documentation.

 When I type startx, I get:

 cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), abort.

 I discovered that there is no X file in /etc/X11, but there is one
 in /usr/bin/X11/ as well as /usr/X11R6/bin/  . According to the
 man page the X file should be a link.  Now X is an actual file. So
 how does one tell the computer what server we need?  There was a file
 called Xserver in /etc/X11. In that I indicated that the server was
 /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA.

 I now copied X to /etc/X11 and typed startx.

 Now I get:  waiting for X server to begein accepting connections and
 it waits for ever.

 Lastly, I tried:

  xinit --/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA

  Now the server appears to start, but I then get the fatal error
  message:

  xf86OpenConsole: server must be running with root permission. YOu
  should be using Xwrapper .....

  At this point, I am lost.

  Any hints about how to proceed from here?

  Thanks.

  Sebastian Canagaratna
  Department of Chemistry
  Ohio Northern University