Re: URGENT: permissions of /dev/ttyS? are constantly getting reset

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 08:25:06AM -0800, Nate Amsden wrote:
> Nico De Ranter wrote:
> >
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm installing a little ppp server for a special project. The ppp daemon
> > needs to be started by a non-root user. I've added the user to the dialout
> > group however the default permission are:
> >
> > crw-r-----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Nov 30 16:23 /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > in stead of
> >
> > crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Nov 30 16:23 /dev/ttyS0
> >
> > I tried chmod but the next time I reboot the permissions are reset to
> > crw-r----- again.  How can I switch off this behaviour?  Having the user
> > log in as root is really not an option.
>
> if it were my box i'd just make a script and have it execute as the last thing
> on boot and change the permissions back.

I'm not realy sure whether it's something at boot time or from a cron job.  I know there
are some pesky little scripts that insist on doing some security checks from cron.daily.
Anyway, I'll try it, thanks.

Nico

> nate
>
> --
> :::
> ICQ: 75132336
> http://www.aphroland.org/
> http://www.linuxpowered.net/
> aphro@aphroland.org
>

> --
 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com