Re: Realplayer: You are running in non-interactive mode...

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 10:18:47AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com scripsit:
> I filed a bug report on this last night, um, no, that was this morning.
> Anyway, yes, I'm using testing, and I suspected perl 5.6 as one of the
> causes.

No, perl5.6 is not concerned, I was on stable and I had the same
problem. The problem is that the install script of realplayer is
wrong. It puts out a needed question with priority 'low' in debconf,
and debconf is usually configured in such a way to rule out question
with priority lower than 'medium'

> Anyone got a suggested workaround?

Yes:))

1. run

dpkg-reconfigure debconf

2. answer as follows to questions about debconf:

  - frontend (as you like, I use dialog)
  - Ignore questions with priority less than... answer 'low'

the following questions do not appear unless you answer 'low' to the
preeceding question

  - Pre-configure packages before installing? answer no (I'm not sure
if this is needed)

  - Show all old questions again and again? answer yes (I think the
problem is here).

3. install realplayer

4. Set back debconf to standard definition. Note that if you want to
set the ignored level to something higer than low you must run

dpkg-reconfigure debconf

two times: the first one answering yes and no respectively to
Pre-configure packages before installing? and Show all old questions
again and again? and the second one to set the level to medium or
higher. This because, as I said above, the last two questions do not
appear unles the level is low.

--
Leo TheHobbit
IRCnet #flct,#roma2