SSH with IPmasq

I have a firewall (floppyfw) based that I am trying to do SSH through to my Debian box on the other side and it will not work. I have uncommented the lines that are supposed to allow forwarding to the box behind it in the scripts and still everytime I try to connect I get connection refused. I know that SSH is up and running on my Debian box and can connect to it from other machines on my home network. But I can not get to it from the other side of the firewall. Any ideas or suggestions please?