Re: Moving redhat -> debian

on Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 09:58:15AM +0100, przemolicc@poczta.fm (przemolicc@poczta.fm) wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 01:16:53PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

<...>

[Regarding switching a server from RH to Debian]

> > My personal recommendation would be to set up a new server using Debian,
> > particularly if this is your first Debian experience, and get various
> > services up and running.  The biggie is likely to be Oracle.  I've
> > installed it on RH, haven't messed with Debian.  My experience is that
> > proprietary SW installation and configuration is orders of magnitude
> > more difficult than free software.
>
> I use debian since bo (or hamm; I don't remember which was earlier).
> Regarding Oracle - we can always export and import. That is no problem.
> I was wandering if there will be any problems with e.g. /etc/shadow etc.
> But I've already checked it out and it works.

That's one issue down.

> > If the replacement server is performing satisfactorially, transfer data
> > over from the old server, and move services to it.  Once you've
> > established that it's satisfactory, you can repurpose the old box.
>
> I am going do use rsync to synchronize data once a day so that it will
> be easy to swap the two servers (eg. in the night).

Sounds good.

> If your company won't won't swing for a new box to test a deployment,
> > I'd strongly recommend you leave things as is.
>
> No way :-)
> I am an administrator of a few boxes with debians and a few with redhat. And
> debian servers takes me less time to maintain it. So because I am
> lazy ;-) I want to have less work.

My last company, I was fighting with the sysadmins over the RH/Debian
issues -- Debian was considered "strange".  I also have some friends who
have indicated annoyance over the "Debian superiority attitude".

I respond the the first:  I've used both, I spend less time fighting
with Debian.  It's easier to get work done.

I respond to the second:  I used RH for 2.5 years, through four versions
(4.2, 5.0, 5.2, 6.2).  I tried Debian on a gimpy box for a few
weeks...and was completely overwhelmed.  All I was looking for was a
distro to run some old hardware, and instead I fell in love.  There's a
reason for the superior attitude <g>.  But it's earned.