Re: Moving redhat -> debian

on Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 10:29:04AM +0100, Przemyslaw Bak (przemolicc@poczta.fm) wrote:
> We are going to move one of our production servers
> from redhat (basically 6.1 upgraded to 6.2) to debian (potato 2.2r2).
> It works as a samba server (over 120 accounts, printing included as well)
> and oracle server.
>
> I know there shouldn't be any (big) problems but does anybody did
> something like that ? Any experience ? Clues ?
>
> It is important for us because it is production server and I can't
> stop my company working because something will fail.

My personal recommendation would be to set up a new server using Debian,
particularly if this is your first Debian experience, and get various
services up and running.  The biggie is likely to be Oracle.  I've
installed it on RH, haven't messed with Debian.  My experience is that
proprietary SW installation and configuration is orders of magnitude
more difficult than free software.

If the replacement server is performing satisfactorially, transfer data
over from the old server, and move services to it.  Once you've
established that it's satisfactory, you can repurpose the old box.

If your company won't won't swing for a new box to test a deployment,
I'd strongly recommend you leave things as is.  Though another option
would be to, say, trial Debian on a less-capable system, then transfer
the configuration to the production box.  This leaves you with far less
a margin of error.