Re: Moving redhat -> debian

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 01:16:53PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 10:29:04AM +0100, Przemyslaw Bak (przemolicc@poczta.fm) wrote:
> > We are going to move one of our production servers
> > from redhat (basically 6.1 upgraded to 6.2) to debian (potato 2.2r2).
> > It works as a samba server (over 120 accounts, printing included as well)
> > and oracle server.
> >
> > I know there shouldn't be any (big) problems but does anybody did
> > something like that ? Any experience ? Clues ?
> >
> > It is important for us because it is production server and I can't
> > stop my company working because something will fail.
>
> My personal recommendation would be to set up a new server using Debian,
> particularly if this is your first Debian experience, and get various
> services up and running.  The biggie is likely to be Oracle.  I've
> installed it on RH, haven't messed with Debian.  My experience is that
> proprietary SW installation and configuration is orders of magnitude
> more difficult than free software.

I use debian since bo (or hamm; I don't remember which was earlier).
Regarding Oracle - we can always export and import. That is no problem.
I was wandering if there will be any problems with e.g. /etc/shadow etc.
But I've already checked it out and it works.

> If the replacement server is performing satisfactorially, transfer data
> over from the old server, and move services to it.  Once you've
> established that it's satisfactory, you can repurpose the old box.

I am going do use rsync to synchronize data once a day so that it will
be easy to swap the two servers (eg. in the night).

> If your company won't won't swing for a new box to test a deployment,
> I'd strongly recommend you leave things as is.

No way :-)
I am an administrator of a few boxes with debians and a few with redhat. And
debian servers takes me less time to maintain it. So because I am
lazy ;-) I want to have less work.

przemol