Re: Email client and conversion from Netscape Mail on win32

Andre Berger <uzscd5@uni-bonn.de> writes:

> * Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu>, 20010309 10:25 +0100:
> > Gnus 5.8 has the "nnmbox" backend, so which I assume reads and writes
> > mbox files.
>
> Theoretically yes. But it doesn't work with anything else but ML (here),
> and I can't find examples in the manual except for that it's supposed to
> work.

Wait...you're saying Gnus 5.8 doesn't work with anything except nnml
on your installation?  Then I would say your installation is broken;
it works fine here when I create a group with an nnmbox backend (with
'G m'), and copy some articles into it with 'B c'.

> MH written by Mutt isn't recognized by Gnus (here, and that's also
> how I understood the manual).

Well, this is something to ask on the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup; I know
of at least two regular posters knowledgeable with both mutt and Gnus.
BTW, I'm using a variant of 5.8.8, and the section on nnmh in my
manual doesn't mention incompatibility with mutt...

> Thank you, I'll keep trying. I think Lisp is a pain.

I understand, but keep in mind that using Lisp for the configuration
allows one to do some very powerful things; for example, suppose that
you use Gnus on both your work computer and your home computer.
Instead of duplicating most of your .gnus, and changing only a few
things, you can say something like:

(setq gnus-select-method
      `(nntp ,(cond ((string-match "work-computer" (system-name))
		     "nntp.work.com")
		    ((string-match "home-computer" (system-name))
		     "nntp.myisp.com"))))

to conditionally set your news server depending on the current
hostname.  Not that you're going to use this power often, but it's
indispensable when you need it (to paraphrase Paul Graham).