Re: Email client and conversion from Netscape Mail on win32

* Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu>, 20010311 02:25 +0100:
> Andre Berger <uzscd5@uni-bonn.de> writes:
>
> > * Colin Walters <walters@cis.ohio-state.edu>, 20010309 10:25 +0100:
> > > Gnus 5.8 has the "nnmbox" backend, so which I assume reads and writes
> > > mbox files.
> >
> > Theoretically yes. But it doesn't work with anything else but ML (here),
> > and I can't find examples in the manual except for that it's supposed to
> > work.
>
> Wait...you're saying Gnus 5.8 doesn't work with anything except nnml
> on your installation?  Then I would say your installation is broken;
> it works fine here when I create a group with an nnmbox backend (with
> 'G m'), and copy some articles into it with 'B c'.

Did you set any variables? When I do what you suggested, "Gm IO\r
nnmbox\r" (for ~/Mail/IO) without any ~/.{emacs,gnus}, I get a "can't
select group" error. My $MAIL is /var/spool/mail/$USER. Do I need that
cryptic "secondary select method"? (shudder)

> > MH written by Mutt isn't recognized by Gnus (here, and that's also
> > how I understood the manual).
>
> Well, this is something to ask on the gnu.emacs.gnus newsgroup; I know
> of at least two regular posters knowledgeable with both mutt and Gnus.
> BTW, I'm using a variant of 5.8.8, and the section on nnmh in my
> manual doesn't mention incompatibility with mutt...

The mutt manual ($4.6) states:
<quote>
  MH. A radical departure from mbox and MMDF, a mailbox consists of a
  directory and each message is stored in a separate file. The filename
  indicates the message number (however, this is may not correspond to
  the message number Mutt displays). Deleted messages are renamed with a
  comma (,) prepended to the filename. Note: Mutt detects this type of
  mailbox by looking for either .mh_sequences or .xmhcache (needed to
  distinguish normal directories from MH mailboxes). Mutt does not
  update these files, yet.
</quote>

> > Thank you, I'll keep trying. I think Lisp is a pain.
>
> I understand, but keep in mind that using Lisp for the configuration
> allows one to do some very powerful things; for example, suppose that
> you use Gnus on both your work computer and your home computer.
> Instead of duplicating most of your .gnus, and changing only a few
> things, you can say something like:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       `(nntp ,(cond ((string-match "work-computer" (system-name))
> 		     "nntp.work.com")
> 		    ((string-match "home-computer" (system-name))
> 		     "nntp.myisp.com"))))
>
> to conditionally set your news server depending on the current
> hostname.  Not that you're going to use this power often, but it's
> indispensable when you need it (to paraphrase Paul Graham).

Yes I realize it's powerful. I just don't understand how it works as a
whole ;(

Andre Berger                                [andre.berger@topmail.de]