Re: ppp0 not found when switched to 2.4 kernel

Sebastiaan wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
> > Sebastiaan wrote:
> > > have you installed modutils-2.4.1 and the new ppp package from woody? You
> > > will need those if you want to run 2.4 kernels.
> >
> >   yes, I've got everything from unstable (modutils 2.4.2 and pppd 2.4.0)
>
> Strange. I have ppp_generic, with ppp_deflate, bsd_comp and ppp_async
> making use of that. I compiled my kernel with:
>
> CONFIG_PPP=m
> CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
> CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
> CONFIG_PPP_SYNC=m
> CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
>
> My aliasses are the same.

  I have the same options, yet it does not work.

  now I noticed that even when I use kernel 2.2.18 I get errors about
modprobe not being able to find char-major-108 (it is aliased to
ppp_generic which does not exist in kernel 2.2.18) but it loads ppp
anyway! why? it is not mentioned in modules.conf at all! why does it try
to load ppp? is it hardcoded in modprobe???

  when I use kernel 2.4 it still wants to load ppp even though it's not
mentioned anywhere in config script (that I kow of) - why? it happily
ignores char-major-108 being aliased to ppp_generic.

  what's going on here?

  any ideas anybody?

  Sebastian - do you have ppp.o module (with kernel 2.4) or does
ppp_generic replace it?

	erik