Re: Email client and conversion from Netscape Mail on win32

on Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 12:48:46PM -0800, MikeF (mikef@mikef-linux-x86.matchmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 12:33:40PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > I'm switching to mutt right now.  I've got to get off netscape, because
> > it has crashed a couple times, and once just before I was going to reply
> > to a long message.  THAT scared me, that's for sure!
>
> Oh, BTW.  I've already switched from netscape on win32 to netscape on Linux.
>
> To the people who don't like netscape's email interface:
>
> I agreed with you until 4.5 came out, which should have been called
> 5.0 but that's looking back....

The main problem I've got with the interface is that it's graphical.
Text is just so much more powerful, particularly with various
accelerators and hooks, as mutt has.  What mutt doesn't have, you can
integrate through something else.  This rocks.  Netscape and Mozilla's
all-in-one design sucks eggs through a straw.

The main problem I've got with NS as a mail client is that the app's
just so damned unstable.  It's bad enough having a website crash, but
losing mail, composed messages, etc., is simply unacceptable.  I don't
recall whether mutt's crashed on me ever, in two years' use.  If my
system goes down, files-in-process are recovered via editor features
(typically vim these days).

> Back to mutt and friends: Are there any utilities that will scan a
> mbox and delete messages older than a relative date in the past?  Say,
> 30, 14 or 7 days?  Maybe it can move them over to another mbox
> hierarchy for archive...  Any ideas?

While this can be automated, I usually go through my main inbox and sent
folders once a quarter and mark everything older than some date, then
move it to an archive:

    T~d -31/12/00<return>
    ;sarchive-folder

...which will tag all items dated up through December 31, 2000, then
move tagged items to some folder.