Re: Email client and conversion from Netscape Mail on win32

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 05:33:34PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not on the debian-user list, so please cc me as well as the list...
>
> I have been using netscape mail for several years on winblows, and have over 50
> folders and even more filters.  I have been getting about 10,000 messages a
> month, and now that I'm a LKML reader, it's gone even higher.  So, threading
> support is very important to me.  So is mail filtering, weather it's with a
> separate package or not doesn't matter.
>
> Now, here's the problem.  I want to convert my email activities over to linux.
> So, I may as well drop netscape at the same time, if I can. I would like to be
> able to read html mail also. I've looked at a couple in the last half hour, and
> here's what I've come across in potato-r2.
>
> elm+me:
> this looks pretty good, and it seems to have html viewing.  Though, I didn't see
> any threading features.
>
> mutt: didn't look very much, so don't know.

It is very nice, let's you do a lot of things, and is compatible with balsa
(which is just a frontend to libmutt anyway).

That said, use procmail for mail filtering and such. and enable mutt's list
mode and other such goodies. I am reeiving almost as much mail as you (well
maybe not so much anymore ,since i unsubscribed to debian-devel and a few
other high volume lists) and it works well for me, also the ability to use it
over a ssh connection is rather nice.

There is also a evolution package i have heard (even for unstable/ppc i think)
that should be rather nice.

Also i can send you some procmail/mutt rules if you like, as they may be
rather obscure for starters.

Friendly,

Sven Luther