Re: Email client and conversion from Netscape Mail on win32

Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 05:33:34PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > mutt: didn't look very much, so don't know.
>
> It is very nice, let's you do a lot of things, and is compatible with balsa
> (which is just a frontend to libmutt anyway).
>
> That said, use procmail for mail filtering and such. and enable mutt's list
> mode and other such goodies. I am reeiving almost as much mail as you (well
> maybe not so much anymore ,since i unsubscribed to debian-devel and a few
> other high volume lists) and it works well for me, also the ability to use it
> over a ssh connection is rather nice.
>
> There is also a evolution package i have heard (even for unstable/ppc i think)
> that should be rather nice.
>
> Also i can send you some procmail/mutt rules if you like, as they may be
> rather obscure for starters.

Yes, I would like those procmail rules.  I have been using exim as my
smtp mailer, and I wonder what you guys think of using that for mail
splitting.  I haven't tried any others, but it seems to be able to hold
up to large loads, and I've been using it for over a year.

I'll probably use procmail anyway, since exim will work with it, and so
will most other email servers.

I'm switching to mutt right now.  I've got to get off netscape, because
it has crashed a couple times, and once just before I was going to reply
to a long message.  THAT scared me, that's for sure!

Netscape uses mbox with a index file.  I've used netscape over the
network storing my profile on a samba server, and it really helps speed
up the access.  I've had it bring up a 70+ MB mail folder in a few
seconds.  The index file is named differently on win32 and unix.  I
don't know if they use compatible formats, but I suspect that they do.
I just deleted the indexes and let netscape rebuild them itself.

I'll take a look at gnus, but I have exactly 0 experience with emacs.

I'm going to keep my search to a text based email client, because I
don't like to have to use vnc to view my email from home... Mutt is
great in an Xterm, and picture viewing is good too.  I wonder if mutt
can use links or netscape for html viewing...  Anyone know?  It's
probably in the config file, or some symlinked "html-viewer" in a bin
dir...  Looked in /etc/alternatives, but no browser or www grep
results...

Thanks for all of the great messages