Re: Printer recommendations

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:52:00AM -0800, Chad Maine wrote:
> http://www.linuxprinting.org has collected stats on this subject.  Should
> give you a list of printers to choose from based on how well they work in
> linux, if at all.  Of course, any postscript printer will work perfectly.

beware that linuxprinting.org lists some non-postscript inkjets as
`perfectly' supported, this is not entirely true as it may still be a
absolute *NIGHTMARE* to make one of these miserable things work.

one example is the Epson Color Stylus Photo 870.  see my other mails
about that.  this printer does *NOT* work at all with debian's gs
packages.  recompiling your own is a non-trivial task.  i got fed up
and returned the damn thing and got a used Apple laserwriter off ebay
(true real postscript support and tcp/ip networking to boot)

unless your a masochist stay AWAY from non-postscript printers.  </rant>

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/