Re: Install problems with X. Was, Re: I don't get apt-get

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 03:06:04PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> Now I have a problem since X won't work and I can't kill it via
> ctrl-alt-backspace. (perhaps since this is a laptop and the keyboard
> mapping is wrong - see [xf86config keyboard question] thread) I tried
> booting off the cd and mounting the / partition. I was looking for a way
> to avoid starting X but I don't know the correct way. This caused
> another problem as it seems that /var and /tmp which are additional
> partitions are now not getting mounted on boot up. I looked at /etc/mtab
> and I see only one partition entry for /. This cause syslog to hang so
> the machine won't boot.

I'm assuming that you're using XDM, or one of its alternatives, to
automatically start X at startup.  An easy way to bypass this is to boot
the system into single-user mode.  You can do this from the LILO prompt.
When your system boots up, hold down the "Shift" key to get the LILO
boot: prompt.  Then type in the name of your Linux boot image (default
is "Linux") followed by " single".  This will boot your system into
single user mode, allowing you to make changes to your system, including
reconfiguring your run-levels to bypass XDM, or reconfiguring X to get
it to work.

I'm not sure if you still have a problem with your network, since you
mentioned it disappeared after you upgraded your pcmcia-cs package, but
if you do, I suggest you start another thread on that subject,
preferably in debian-laptop, as it's more appropriate over there.

Don't forget, most Linux newbies end up re-installed their system
several times during the first month or so until they get everything
just right.  Don't be afraid to do this.  On the other hand, fixing all
your problems by hand will certainly give you a lot of experience in the
long run.  Keep up the good fight, and please ask for help as you go!

Steven
--
Steven Dickenson	<steven@usermail.com>