Install problems with X. Was, Re: I don't get apt-get

Steven Dickenson wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:26:57PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> >
> > Now when the installer started to install, it asked me to put in CD disk
> > 1, which I did, but it seems that the installer is installing everything
> > off the net.
>
> Your CDs are 2.2r0.  The FTP source is 2.2.r2, which is newer, therefore
> apt-get is just doing it's job.  Grabbing from the newest source it
> knows.  To get around it, just remove the ftp.debian.org deb entry from
> your /etc/sources.list.  However, I would recommend updated to 2.2r2
> after you install. (apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade).  If you
> don't have the bandwidth, but know someone or somewhere that does, look
> into apt-zip.

Thank-you, this makes sense now. It sure seemed convenient to let it do
it on the fly except when it upgraded the pcmcia it asked to shut it
down so I'm not sure what happened after that since my network went
away.

Now I have a problem since X won't work and I can't kill it via
ctrl-alt-backspace. (perhaps since this is a laptop and the keyboard
mapping is wrong - see [xf86config keyboard question] thread) I tried
booting off the cd and mounting the / partition. I was looking for a way
to avoid starting X but I don't know the correct way. This caused
another problem as it seems that /var and /tmp which are additional
partitions are now not getting mounted on boot up. I looked at /etc/mtab
and I see only one partition entry for /. This cause syslog to hang so
the machine won't boot.

So I guess I'm really messing up and don't have a clue.
Eric