Courier Setup Problem in unstable

I have installed the Courier base and mta packages from unstable (0.31.1-2)
and can not get the installation to work.  I have contacted the Courier List
and have been told that the installation is broken.  Does anyone have this
version working with unstable?

Problems that I am seeing...

I get an error when receiving mail like this:

Mar  5 13:02:40 ws-5-121 courieresmtpd:
error,relay=::ffff:207.179.38.145,ident=root,from=<craig@sailplane.keylabs.c
om>,to=<toor@ws-5-121.keylabs.com>: 550 User unknown.

When testing to make sure the local account is working, I tried to send an
email and received the following error in syslog:

Mar  5 13:07:23 ws-5-121 submit: Permission denied

The client saw the error:

432 Service temporarily unavailable

Or, do I really just need something tweaked???

-Craig