Re: What kernel module for "Sound Max Digital Audio"?

Kent West wrote:

I just got blessed with a Gateway E-3400 933MHz PIII box; sweet machine.
I've recompiled a new 2.4.2 kernel and everything's working well except
for sound.

It's an "AC'97 soft audio using ADI 1881" setup (according to Gateway tech support). According to the ALSA mini-HOWTO, this requires the

snd-card-intel8x0

module, which I have downloaded and compiled, along with the appropriate libs and utils. (I'm running a 2.4.2 kernel). After installing the module, lsmod reports:

snd-card-intel8x0       6992   0  (unused)
snd-pcm                49248   0  [snd-card-intel8x0]
snd-timer               9664   0  [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         18336   0  [snd-card-intel8x0]
snd 27696 1 [snd-card-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec]
vmnet                  17632   1
vmmon                  18672   0
3c59x                  22848   1
appletalk              17680   0
vfat                   10576   0  (unused)
fat                    30624   0  [vfat]
smbfs                  33744   0  (unused)

I also ran .snddevices as per the instructions, which presumably created the /dev files needed (there is a /dev/snd directory now).

When I try to "splay" some sound file (.wav or .mp3), I get:

Cannot open /dev/dsp or /dev/sound/dsp!
splay: Failed to open sound device.

When I run "saytime", I get no sound and no errors.

When I try to cat (SomeSoundFile) >  /dev/dsp, I get

bash: /dev/dsp: No such device

Same for /dev/audio.

I am in the audio group.  I've also tried all this as root.

Just now I found another piece; according to the ALSA mini-HOWTO I needed to "modprobe snd-pcm1-oss", which didn't exist. However, I did find a "snd-pcm-oss". After loading it, I can now cat soundfiles to /dev/[audio|dsp] without getting an error. However, I still get no sound. This is a brand new machine, so I don't even know for sure that the sound hardware (speakers, wires, etc) work correctly, so I'll try to verify that everything's working there.