Woody psudo-fresh install

John had very good point but we can do with less download than this.
His method requires 15MB base + 40MB potato downloads + 70MB woody
download to get woody running. Mine skips useless potato download and
installs woody directly.

Result:
  2 FDs to boot
  Small bootstrap OS by base2_2.tgz(15MB)
  About 70 MB download to create about 250MB install space
  (looking at /var/apt/cache and df)
Install woody using potato boot disks (I just did this.)

1.  Get 3 potato disk set of IDE boot/root(/driver) disks
2.  Boot with FD
3.  Fdisk/fsck/mount swap, root, tmp, var, home, usr (no 2.0 support)
4.  Install OS from network. No need for driver disk(s)
5.  Configure driver (No action option)
6.  Install base system from network (base2_2.tgz)
7.  Configure base system
8.  Install lilo to /target and keep current multiboot mbr
9.  Reboot system (Lazy not to create FD)
10. MD5 yes, shadow yes, setup also user account
11. Edit source by hand (setup 2 entries, change "stable" to "testing")
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
12. Install advanced (dselect)
13. Select minimum set (exclude emacs, nvi, tex, telnet, talk(d),...)
14. Include mc, vim, ... (for convenience)
15. Install (download all...)
16. All configuration questions = y (replace current)
17. exim: select 2 for machine behind FW, 1 for internet machine. (XXX)
18. Never erase downloaded file, end smoothly.  Wow!
19. Check status by entering "Select".
    console-* and lilo are from potato.  Heck, it works.
20. I see complain about "DESTROY" method. (Heck.)
21. Login to root, run dselect --expert, good
22. Reboot.  missing char-major-10-135 ?  But fine.

I used IDE-boot/root disk set.  But regular boot disk should work.  But
this cause larger driver disk file download time (1 FD vs. 3 FD).

I was expecting above to break as usual for testing but it was smooth.
No dpkg -i <package>.deb command needed this time.

I use ALT-F1/F2 to switch between consoles to make sure everything goes
smooth.  If above is too complicated, just install potato and upgrade.

Osamu

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 08:42:55PM -0700, John Galt wrote:

> The actual files you need from
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/mirrors/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/
>
> images-1.44/rescue.bin
> images-1.44/root.bin
>
> Next you need to decide how you're doing things from here.  If you have a
> pile of floppies, you can get all the drivers-* and base-* files from
> images-1.44.  We're looking on the wrong side of 13 floppies for this
> method.
>
> If you don't have 13 floppies or the patience, but DO have a partition you
> can easily put 20 or megs somewhere near the root directory, you can get
>
> drivers.tgz
> base2_2.tgz
>
> Please note that the above refers to potato, there's no good way to
> install straight woody ATM.  This will set you up a ~40M distribution with
> enough functionality to choose what you want from that point.  You're
> looking at a tough row to hoe for this, but if you think you can hack it,
> go for it!
>
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Kenny S wrote:
> <wordwrap added...>
> >Isn't there a reasonably easy method of installing a "bare bones" Woody
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +
+   Fingerprint: 814E BD64 3288 40E7 E88E  3D92 C3F8 EA94 D5DE 453D   +
+   http://www.aokiconsulting.com/pc/  Cupertino, CA USA              +