Re: Woody psudo-fresh install

I was not careful reading John's message.  His download should be the
same as mine if his first dselect run is performed after modifying
sources (He does not mention it.)  If you are not careful, you may
install standard potato package, though.

Side note: I run install machine behind masq/firewall with fixed IP. All
network protocols are http.

With my approach, less FD used.  With John's method, you save bandwidth
if you do it 2nd time.

Regards, Osamu

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:58:17PM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> John had very good point but we can do with less download than this.
> His method requires 15MB base + 40MB potato downloads + 70MB woody
> download to get woody running. Mine skips useless potato download and
> installs woody directly.
>
> Result:
>   2 FDs to boot
>   Small bootstrap OS by base2_2.tgz(15MB)
>   About 70 MB download to create about 250MB install space
>   (looking at /var/apt/cache and df)
...  ...

> Osamu
>
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 08:42:55PM -0700, John Galt wrote:
> >
> > The actual files you need from
...  ...

> > If you don't have 13 floppies or the patience, but DO have a partition you
> > can easily put 20 or megs somewhere near the root directory, you can get

Can do http to save FD

> > drivers.tgz
> > base2_2.tgz
> >
> > Please note that the above refers to potato, there's no good way to
> > install straight woody ATM.  This will set you up a ~40M distribution with

I agree.

--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +
+   Fingerprint: 814E BD64 3288 40E7 E88E  3D92 C3F8 EA94 D5DE 453D   +