RE: HP LJ III with Jet Direct and Linux

> I have an old HP Laserjet III with an old JetDirect card in it that I
> have purchaed used.  I have to use the parallel port to print to it,
> but would like to use the network card instead.  It was configured and
> running on another network, and there is some info to that respect in
> the diagnostic info I can print out.  I probably need to reconfigure
> it, but HP's tools don't detect it.  It appears to want to use ipx,
> and I can see it sending stuff out on the network.  I figured it was a
> dhcp request, but dhcp doesn't see it.  Anyone know how to
> reset/configure these cards or have any ideas of things to try?  HP
> has been less than helpful.  TIA.
>
> Rob

If you can configure it to talk tcp you have a chance.  I think some of
those things would only talk ipx or appletalk.  Try to configure it from
the front panel of the printer.  (maybe io menu or mio 1 or mio 2 menu?)
I have done this with a slightly newer printer but it should work with
the lj3.  Ummm... I guess I need to ask is it an internal card or
external box with a parallel cable?  The internal card can usually be
configured from the printer front panel.  If it is an external box, you
have to do a special power up reset that clears it.  Then use arp to
set up the mac addr to an ip addr and telnet to it.

Assuming you can get into it to make it talk tcp...  Here is a printcap
entry that works for me (lprng):

tnp077|Accounting lj3(pcl)
      :lp=tnp077%2501
      :sd=/var/spool/lpd/tnp077
      :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter
      :mx#0
	:sf
	:sh

You will have to change the %2501 to %9100.  Put the ip-addr of the
jetdirect
or a name that is in /etc/hosts or dns in place of "tnp077".  Alter the
spool
directory entry accordingly.  Install magicfilter.  You can let it make
the printcap and edit it or just do it by hand to start with.
Use ljet4l-filter.  It works better for me than the lj3 filter.  If you
have problems with it, drop back and use ljet3-filter.

hope you have one that speaks tcp...

hth
jim