Re: HP LJ III with Jet Direct and Linux

"Lewis, James M." wrote:

> > I have an old HP Laserjet III with an old JetDirect card in it that I
> > have purchaed used.  I have to use the parallel port to print to it,
> > but would like to use the network card instead.  It was configured and
> > running on another network, and there is some info to that respect in
> > the diagnostic info I can print out.  I probably need to reconfigure
> > it, but HP's tools don't detect it.  It appears to want to use ipx,
> > and I can see it sending stuff out on the network.  I figured it was a
> > dhcp request, but dhcp doesn't see it.  Anyone know how to
> > reset/configure these cards or have any ideas of things to try?  HP
> > has been less than helpful.  TIA.
> >
> > Rob
> >
> If you can configure it to talk tcp you have a chance.  I think some of
> those things would only talk ipx or appletalk.  Try to configure it from
> the front panel of the printer.  (maybe io menu or mio 1 or mio 2 menu?)
> I have done this with a slightly newer printer but it should work with
> the lj3.  Ummm... I guess I need to ask is it an internal card or
> external box with a parallel cable?  The internal card can usually be
> configured from the printer front panel.  If it is an external box, you
> have to do a special power up reset that clears it.  Then use arp to
> set up the mac addr to an ip addr and telnet to it.
>
> Assuming you can get into it to make it talk tcp...  Here is a printcap
> entry that works for me (lprng):
>
> tnp077|Accounting lj3(pcl)
>       :lp=tnp077%2501
>       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/tnp077
>       :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter
>       :mx#0
>         :sf
>         :sh
>
> You will have to change the %2501 to %9100.  Put the ip-addr of the
> jetdirect
> or a name that is in /etc/hosts or dns in place of "tnp077".  Alter the
> spool
> directory entry accordingly.  Install magicfilter.  You can let it make
> the printcap and edit it or just do it by hand to start with.
> Use ljet4l-filter.  It works better for me than the lj3 filter.  If you
> have problems with it, drop back and use ljet3-filter.
>
> hope you have one that speaks tcp...

I don't know if it can talk TCP or not.  It's an internal card, and I
can set which io port to use from the panel menu (Parallel, Serial,
optional), but I haven't found out how to get to any kind of
configuration menu for the card.  I don't have any manuals for the card,
but I do have one for the printer.  Do you know how to get to more
configuration options besides holding down the menu button for 5
seconds?  That's how I get to configure which IO device to use.

Rob