Re: HP LJ III with Jet Direct and Linux

on Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 01:30:11PM -0600, robhr@core.com (robhr@core.com) wrote:
> I have an old HP Laserjet III with an old JetDirect card in it that I
> have purchaed used.  I have to use the parallel port to print to it,
> but would like to use the network card instead.  It was configured and
> running on another network, and there is some info to that respect in
> the diagnostic info I can print out.

> I probably need to reconfigure it, but HP's tools don't detect it.  It
> appears to want to use ipx, and I can see it sending stuff out on the
> network.  I figured it was a dhcp request, but dhcp doesn't see it.
> Anyone know how to reset/configure these cards or have any ideas of
> things to try?  HP has been less than helpful.  TIA.

What's the "status" page show you in terms of networking?  Does it tell
you if TCP/IP is configured, or give an IP?  IIRC, on the HPLJIII, you
can walk through the menus on the onboard display to set up networking
-- you've got an LED display on the right hand side of the box?

HP's online info is pretty good.  Not awesome, but reasonably decent.
Don't bother IMO with their phone support -- for starters, they never
sold you the system in the first place.

For one of their older DeskJets, the networking reset keypress was to
restart the printer while holding the "Online" button.