unresolved symbols in 3dfx.o

I've been attempting to prepare my machine to play
some quake, but I can't get the 3dfx.o module to work.
 I downloaded the device3dfx source using apt-get, ran
the buildpkg script, and then installed the .deb
created.  As the deb is trying to update-modules, I
see a message saying "Unresolved symbols in
lib/.../3dfx.o".  When I depmod -e this (I've been
hitting the man pages...), the two symbols it mentions
are "register_chrdev_Rbbdcb79f" and
"printk_R1b7d4074".

In the the archives someone mentioned running nm
3dfx.o | grep printk, and then grep printk /proc/ksyms
to see if the kernel headers that were used match.
Mine don't.  I'm not sure how to fix that, because my
kernel source is in /usr/src/linux (actually
kernel-source-2.2.18pre21, but it's symlinked) where
the programs should be able to find the right files.
I just recently recompiled my kernel because the
makefile wouldn't run without the kernel having been
configured and installed, so I dont' think restoring
my old kernel would help.  Also, none of the modules
made after "make modules; make install" worked -- they
all had unresolved symbols.  I restored the old
modules, and they're working fine with my new kernel.

So I guess it boils down to a) why can't I compile a
working 3dfx.o, and b) why aren't modules made based
on my kernel src (retrieved using dselect) working
either?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry I'm so
verbose, but I work tech support and know how
important every little thing can be...

Cheers,
JB
(running Debian 2.2.18pre21, custom kernel, with
2.2.18pre21 kernel source)