Broken Upgrade to Sid

After finally getting all the packages downloaded to my machine,
I did the actual 'dist-upgrade', a script of which is posted here:

http://gonzo_united.tripod.com/sid.html     (approx 200K)
I tried to clean up the script output as much as possible, although I
left some of the 'line noise' around the X setup so you could see what
extent of X setup ran...

During the process, I did apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade about 4 times
before it managed to run all the way through.  Along the way I had a few
errors similar to this:
(in cleanup) Can't call method "close" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/ConfModule.pm line 301 during global destruction. (in cleanup) Can't call method "DESTROY" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Question.pm line 151 during global destruction.

I'd already upgraded to perl-5.6-19, but put of the upgrade was also getting
perl-5.6-20.

Anyway, X is now stuffed. Debconf said it was saving the current xfree3.3.xx config, and writing a new one, but the was no evidence of this under /etc/X11/

I have no startx or xf86cfg, although I do have Xf86config-v3, but it appears the proper xserver (4.0.2) is there, well /usr/doc/xserver-common/ is for 4.0.2

Of the packages on hold, I'd put the following ones on hold to reduce the
amount I was downloading ..
anacron bsdgames gnome-utils koules leafnode
python-bobopos python-elisp python-examples python-kjbuckets python-pygresql
sabre-common task-games wmaker xgalaga xnest xsabre xscavenger,
leaving apt system holds on lilo and console-data.

I haven't noticed any other probs, but then I haven't played too much with it,
sooo can anyone give me any pointers on how to get my nice shiny Sid
box running X??
Direct replies would be appreciated, I'm on digest...

many thanks
Steve