Re: unresolved symbols in 3dfx.o

Johnny Blade wrote:

> I've been attempting to prepare my machine to play
> some quake, but I can't get the 3dfx.o module to work.
>  I downloaded the device3dfx source using apt-get, ran
> the buildpkg script, and then installed the .deb
> created.  As the deb is trying to update-modules, I
> see a message saying "Unresolved symbols in
> lib/.../3dfx.o".  When I depmod -e this (I've been
> hitting the man pages...), the two symbols it mentions
> are "register_chrdev_Rbbdcb79f" and
> "printk_R1b7d4074".
>
> In the the archives someone mentioned running nm
> 3dfx.o | grep printk, and then grep printk /proc/ksyms
> to see if the kernel headers that were used match.
> Mine don't.  I'm not sure how to fix that, because my
> kernel source is in /usr/src/linux (actually
> kernel-source-2.2.18pre21, but it's symlinked) where
> the programs should be able to find the right files.
> I just recently recompiled my kernel because the
> makefile wouldn't run without the kernel having been
> configured and installed, so I dont' think restoring
> my old kernel would help.

You might try restoring your original kernel, and just installing the
kernel headers, to allow you to compile.  You'll probably need to
-I/usr/src/linux/include.  If you're compiling using make, try 'export
CFLAGS=-I/usr/src/linux/include' before running make.

When you build your own kernel, there's an option for whether you want
the kernel to set version information on module symbols.  The way that
was set when you rolled your kernel could be what's giving you problems.

-Ron-
GPG and other info at: http://www.yellowbank.com/