Re: newbie postgresql question

What you need to do is log into the box as the postgres super-user
(generally username is 'postgres') and add the user:

su - postgres
psql

(if it complains that there's no postgres database, you might have to do:
initdb
)

then do:

CREATE USER username WITH PASSWORD password;

there are more options to CREATE USER outlined in the postgresql docs
which should be in your /usr/doc tree, or by typing:

\h create user

at the psql prompt.

Hope this helps.

Andrew J Perrin - Ph.D. Candidate, UC Berkeley, Dept. of Sociology
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin
        aperrin@socrates.berkeley.edu - aperrin@igc.apc.org