newbie postgresql question

Just installed postgresql 7 and went through the config files and everything
looks fine. Log in with my user account and open up pgaccess to create a new
database and get the following error:

  Tcl error executing pg_exec
  create database invoice

  is not a valid postgresql
  connection

If I log in as user postgres, I can run psql, but if I try to run psql under
another user I get:

  psql: FATAL 1: SetUserId: user 'chas' is not in 'pg_shadow'

I imagine that I have to add myself to some group or something, but I have
absolutely no idea where to start looking.

I've read some postgres documentation, but debian apparently does things a
little differently. Any suggestions?

--
Charles Lewis
lewisc@delta.swau.edu