Console text scrambled (in a different way :)

Hullo again.. sorry to bother you nice people, but this one has been
bugging me since I started using Linux a couple of years ago.. it's not
Debian specific, but I've had better, more educated responses from this
list than any other. Now, enough of the brown-nosing ;)

If I display a file which contains binary data, often there will be a
sequence of characters which the console interprets to 'switch character
sets' and then any lower case characters become little boxes, or patches
of fuzz, yet numbers and upper case characters are unaffected.

I know of no way to fix this, although a little script to output the
'switch back to normal mode' characters would be handy :)

Any takers?

Gavin.