Re: Console text scrambled (in a different way :)

Quoting Gavin Hamill (gdh@acentral.co.uk):

> If I display a file which contains binary data, often there will be a
> sequence of characters which the console interprets to 'switch character
> sets' and then any lower case characters become little boxes, or patches
> of fuzz, yet numbers and upper case characters are unaffected.
>
> I know of no way to fix this, although a little script to output the
> 'switch back to normal mode' characters would be handy :)

This is the more frequent problem then the one posed, and the other
replies in the thread should help you, viz. reset, or echoing ^O
(some people embed a ^O (that's control-O) in their prompt,),
or running top, or avoiding the problem by browsing files with
less or mc instead of cat.

BTW if Tyler Braun is running framebuffers like Hall Stevenson,
then my consolechars -d tip may be of no help whatsoever. I have
no experience of FBs.

Cheers,