apt-get/dpkg uninstall fail

Aight, I was attempting to install kde2.1 and it failed due to the fact i
didnt have libstdc++2.8 installed already.  After it complained obviously
I attempted to install the libstdc++2.8 with apt-get and got this
response.

fenris:~/temp # apt-get install libstdc++2.8
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdebase
  libstdc++2.8
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/96.1kB of archives. After unpacking 9654kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 36258 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kdebase ...
cp: /etc/X11/window-managers: omitting directory
dpkg: error processing kdebase (--remove):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 kdebase
Exit 100

I've tried using to get rid of it but obviously another error occured

fenris:~/temp # dpkg -P --force-remove-reinstreq kdebase
(Reading database ... 36258 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kdebase ...
cp: /etc/X11/window-managers: omitting directory
dpkg: error processing kdebase (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
 kdebase
Exit 1

If anyone has any ideas or if you need some more info from me please
ask... thanks all.