Re: Console text scrambled (in a different way :)

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 12:09, Gavin Hamill wrote:

> If I display a file which contains binary data, often there will be a
> sequence of characters which the console interprets to 'switch
> character sets' and then any lower case characters become little
> boxes, or patches of fuzz, yet numbers and upper case characters are
> unaffected.
>
> I know of no way to fix this, although a little script to output the
> 'switch back to normal mode' characters would be handy :)

The command you want is 'reset'.  If you're sitting at a prompt, or if
you can type blindly whatever commands or keystrokes you need to get to
a prompt (q to get out of less, :q! to get out of vi, whatever),
typing reset and enter will usually get you back to normal.

Man reset for details.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.