Re: Printer recommendations

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 07:56:33PM -0600, Bud Rogers wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2001 19:36, Sean wrote:
> > I would second the choice for a laser printer ... I believe they are
> > often of better construction than inkjets, and the cost per page is
> > significatnly less. Not to mention the benefit of not having all your
> > printed type simply disappear into a blurry mess if the paper happens
> > to get wet.
>
> Same here.  A couple of years ago we bought an HP 680C inkjet so my
> wife to print color graphics.   About a year ago I bought an HP 6L
> laser for grad school research papers.  This year my wife used her
> Christmas money to buy another 6L and lugged the inkjet to the upstairs
> closet.  She decided on her own that crisp monochrome was better than
> smudged color.  And the cost per page is roughly an order of magnitude
> better.

Again seconded! I use a LaserJet 6P and have had no problems with it over
a number of years which, considering the number of howtos and man pages
I print out is very impressive. I use CUPS here, even though I'm not on
a LAN. I find that the printing speed is lower than with lpr, but it is
far easier to change settings and to monitor the queue etc (full web
interface). I'm not sure how CUPS would work with JetDirect, but I would
definately recommend investigating this route as I find the software to
be rock-solid.

Matthew