Re: Considering Debian

> regarding RPM. The case in point is that I've wanted to install
> some new Gnome related RPM's that require the x-devel
> RPMs. The problem is that I've, by hand, upgraded X to 4.0x
> and the needed x-devel RPMs are 3.3.6. Of course I can tell
> it to ignore the dependancies but then what is the point of the
> dependancies?

Whether you use Debian's packaging system or Redhat's, if you install a
package by hand (from source), the package system won't know about it...
If you know you have the required package already installed, you're only
option at that point is to tell it to ignore the requirement.

To make your life easier, as some have already said, use one or the
other, but not both. You can in fact mix them, but you'll still run into
the "problems" you've already encountered.

Hall