Re: Considering Debian

To quote "Rainer Mager" <rmager@vgkk.com>,
# David (and all),
#
# 	Thanks for the reply. The part about mixing hand built stuff with
pacages
# in concerning as I do this quite often. The number of available
packages is
# encouraging but, nonetheless, I know occasions will arise. I've had to
# build/install by hand X, glibc, postgres, the kernel, gcc, freeamp,
and
# others because of needing bleeding edge versions that fix bugs or
because,
# in debugging the current version, I needed a non-stripped binary.
# 	Although the automatic installation abilities of apt sound nice, I
find
# that I usually want to actually download the, in my case, RPM so that
I can
# use it on multiple machines. That is, I question the benefit of this
for me.
#
# 	Anyway, I wall continue to explore this and, once again, thanks for
the
# info.

Well, unless you need CVS stuff, there's the unstable variant of Debian,
Sid. Heck, it even has some CVS stuff :) For a while, KDE2 was from
CVS...

Anyways, there are plenty of bleeding-edge packages in Sid. Woody is
supposed to be more "tame" than Sid, and Potato is really meant for
servers, where things *can't* change out from underneath you. It sounds
like you have the requisite skills to run a Sid system, so I'd suggest
it.

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)