Considering Debian

Hi all,

	I've been using Linux for a long time (7ish years) and for the past year
have been using RedHat 6.2. Anywho, my biggest complaint with RH is
regarding RPM. The case in point is that I've wanted to install some new
Gnome related RPM's that require the x-devel RPMs. The problem is that I've,
by hand, upgraded X to 4.0x and the needed x-devel RPMs are 3.3.6. Of course
I can tell it to ignore the dependancies but then what is the point of the
dependancies?
	So, to make a long story short, how is the Debian package manager in this
regards? Do the same problems exist? How easy is it to mix package installed
pieces to pieces installed by hand?

Thanks,

--Rainer