RE: Considering Debian

David (and all),

	Thanks for the reply. The part about mixing hand built stuff with pacages
in concerning as I do this quite often. The number of available packages is
encouraging but, nonetheless, I know occasions will arise. I've had to
build/install by hand X, glibc, postgres, the kernel, gcc, freeamp, and
others because of needing bleeding edge versions that fix bugs or because,
in debugging the current version, I needed a non-stripped binary.
	Although the automatic installation abilities of apt sound nice, I find
that I usually want to actually download the, in my case, RPM so that I can
use it on multiple machines. That is, I question the benefit of this for me.

	Anyway, I wall continue to explore this and, once again, thanks for the
info.

--Rainer