Setting Up Partitions

    I have a copy of Debian 2.1 Slink that I am trying
to install to a second harddrive.

    I just recently found out on a website that cfdisk
cannot create extended partitions.  I attempted to do
this when I was installing by changing the partition
type to extended, but when it wrote the table it still
had them listed as linux native.  This is what I want
to do..

hdb1 (this is already my freebsd swap partition)
hdb2 /boot (this will be a primary partition)
hdb3 (extended partition containing logical slices)
hdb5 /
hdb6 /var
hdb7 /tmp
hdb8 /home
hdb9 /usr

    My swap space will go on my third drive.  I
thought about just doing Alt-Ctrl-F2 to get a prompt,
run fdisk and create the partition table that way,
then continue with the curses based install.  Is that
correct?  Also I have read that linux cannot boot from
an extended partition, is this true?  If not I can put
all of the slices in one exteneded partition.  If I am
using the wrong terminology it is because I have only
really used BSD's and am used to disklabel.

Thanks in advance
Ian