Re: autofs or automount?

Hi,

Jonathan Matthews wrote:

> Thanks to those who responded so . . succinctly <g> to my post about
> needing to do on-demand NFS mounting.
>
> Just a quickie for the list, now: which should I use?

i think it´s option joice of yourself for what you want to use it.

If seen that AMD ( Auto Mounter Demon ) with Yellow Pages support is ok for many
clients in a linux based network. the AMD Mount tables are spreaden through the
YP.

autofs is... i think... is the only one with a basic LDAP support so if you want
to use it.

automount ?!?!?! :)

> What are the implications of using one over the other?
> Is either noticably faster, more robust, or simply better than the
> other?

The most problems i´ve seen in this cases are the mount informations and the
NFS mounts.

i don´t know how good NFS works with the new 2.4.1 Kernel. But some month ago i
saw some problems with Shares on NFS and the spreading of the mount tables from
AMD over YP.

But thats not an 'Out Mounter' problem.

> Equally, has anyone got any horror stories about either . . ?

not really. Some security holes stuff in the told options above...but nothing
critical i think.

l8ters Daniel