Re: mkinitrd

please don't CC replies, i read the list and don't need two copies.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 02:36:31PM +0100, Johan Groth wrote:

> I want to boot the system the same way Storm Linux installed it and that was
> with scsi support compiled as modules. And as you already know, if you compile
> all scsi support as modules you need initrd so it can load the scsi modules at
> boot time in order to get access to the root system. But you seem to know how
> to make a initrd file. Is it something you can share with me?

what i am saying is that this method of booting is more complicated
and thus more prone to failure, then simply hitting `y' instead of `m'
to precisely one option in your kernel configuration.   as far as the
rest of the system is concerned all you need to change is deleting
initrd= from your lilo.conf or grub menu.lst.  no other changes are
required.

there is no legitimate reason for using an initrd in this situation
unless you are using the standard kernel packages built by storm, and
those will include the initrd for you.  for a custom kernel you are
expected to configure it correctly, that is with scsi drivers compiled
in and NOT as modules.

as for building initrds, its a complicated and non-trivial procedure i
don't have time to explain such a thing. especially when its 100%
unecessary.   just compile the scsi driver into your kernel. you could
have done that and had your system booting with the new kernel in the
time it has taken to write these mails.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/