Re: Drawing diagrams of servers

Hello Russell,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

> I want to draw some diagrams of a network showing things such as "user
> uploads files to an FTP server, FTP server uses rsync to push data to web
> server, users download data from web server".  I want to do this will little
> boxes representing each machine etc.

I use xfig for all diagrams. You will probably find that xfig can solve
your problems if you either use it to draw your diagrams, or else just use
it to annotate them afterwards.

> Years ago I used visio to do this on Windows.
>
> I tried Kivio (KDE visio-like program) but it doesn't allow me to specify
> types of lines between objects (I want arrows to show direction the data
> flows), it doesn't seem to allow labels on lines, and is generally klunky.
>
> Is there a good program in Debian that allows this?

You will probably find that Kivio will output its drawings in a format
which xfig can import. If so then just draw your diagrams and then import
them into xfig for final labelling.

If you have imported your diagrams into xfig, then you could produce an
xfig library containing all the Kivio symbols, and so use xfig to draw all
of your diagrams in future. I have done things like this for a variety of
purposes including technical diagrams, GIS mapping, scientific diagrams,
etc.

The xfig diagrams are saved in a readable ASCII file format which is easy
to understand. Therefore you can relatively easily generate them
automatically from your own database, and so you should be able to create
a database of all your user interactions, and have it automatically
generate editable diagrams for all your purposes.

> Please CC me direct when you reply, I'm not on the list.

I have copied it to you personally. I hope my help is of some use.

Helen McCall