Re: mkinitrd

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 12:50:35PM +0100, Johan Groth wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm an old Red Hatter that have resently converted to Debian (or rather
> Stormix Linux 2000 Deluxe). I've upgraded my system to woody to get X4.0.2. I
> also installed modutils 2.4.2 so I can compile a 2.4.2 kernel. And here is my
> problem that I hope someone on this list can help me with.
>
> I boot Linux from a SCSI HD which means that either SCSI support must be
> compiled into the kernel or you use an initrd-image and have SCSI support
> compiled as modules.

if your going to compile your own kernel why on earth would you want
to subject yourself to the extra trouble of using the initrd kludge to
bootstrap your system??  the reason redhat does this is so the default
kernel is not bloated with every scsi driver in the kernel (whether
that is really that much of an advantage is debatable) when you custom
compile a kernel you can include only the scsi driver you need and
compile it right into the kernel, not as a module.  this is simpler
and cleaner.

compiling it as a module gives you zero benifit, you won't ever be
able to remove the module from the running kernel since you would
instantly lose access to the root (and all other) filesystems.

> As I always have had SCSI compiled as modules in Red Hat I thought I should

leave your redhat ways behind, for they are baggage you no longer
require.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/