Re: help: libc6 install (was: Re: task-c-dev install)

Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@centroin.com.br> wrote:
>Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.1.3-15) but 2.2-4 is to be installed
>  E: Sorry, broken packages
>
>I was curious about the numbers associated to libc6, 2.1.3-15 (which is
>in the stable branch) vs 2.2.-4 which is in the testing branch. Now
>I remember that some time ago, when I was trying to install balsa, I
>installed the version of balsa which was in woody (unstable at that time), and
>the libc6 libs where updated in the process. Now I don't have balsa
>anymore, I remove it, but I think that something was messed up whith libc6,
>perhaps some information regarding woody? I am running potato 2.2.r2, and I
>want to keep stick with it. How can I fix it?

If you've installed woody's libc6, you either have to install woody's
libc6-dev as well or else downgrade to potato's libc6, not mix and
match. You could download the .deb for potato's libc6 and install it
with 'dpkg -i'; if balsa is the only thing you installed which depended
on woody's libc6 then it should be relatively painless, otherwise you
might have to do a bit more work.

>I tried to remove libc6 in order to install it again from stable, but a
>huge amount of packages will be removed in the process and I am afraid to
>mess up even more my system...

Do *not* attempt to remove libc6 under any circumstances. :) Downgrade
it in place.

In general, if you're running stable, be careful about upgrading to
individual packages in testing/unstable; make sure you know what
packages are going to be upgraded in the process.