Re: First kernel under Debian

'tar -xvfz' is for .tar.gz archives.  For .tar.bz2, you need to use
'tar -xvfj' or '-tar xvfI' (depending on which version of tar you
have).

You should probably do this as root (or use sudo), instead of changing
ownership.  It should be left in /usr/src, because some other tasks
may look for the kernel headers there.

To remove the cached .deb files, do 'apt-get clean'.

Bob