Crashed during kernel compile - now get only crc errors

I was attempting to recompile my kernel to add SMP support (and trim it down a bit), when the pc froze. I was running the debian method of compiling. I was forced to do a hard reboot. When it booted back up, while in the "Uncompressing Linux" stage, I got a "crc error" message and the system halted. Bummer. So, I threw in my rescue floppy, booted, and got the same error. Put the cd in the drive, booted, same error. Tried the "rescue" option after booting the cd, same error. So, now I'm stuck with a system I can't boot in any way. I would like to avoid a reinstall if possible, but right now, I don't even know how I can get to the point where I CAN reinstall.

Anyone know what's going on here and how I can fix it or get around it?