Re: xfree 4.0

XFree 4.0 has a new way to handle scalable fonts.  Probably you did
something that got it working.  I am having the same problem with
fonts also--still working on the solution.  Apparently the new font
server does scalable/true-type fonts built-in--no need for a separate
true-type font server.

xf86cfg crashing is a known bug, already (repeatedly) reported.

I've been trying to fix things up by hand, but maybe I should try
xf86config; I was reluctant to because it seems to build from scratch,
rather than from the file I have (but there may be options to do so).