Re: xfree 4.0

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 10:34:54AM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> XFree 4.0 has a new way to handle scalable fonts.  Probably you did
> something that got it working.  I am having the same problem with
> fonts also--still working on the solution.  Apparently the new font
> server does scalable/true-type fonts built-in--no need for a separate
> true-type font server.
>
> xf86cfg crashing is a known bug, already (repeatedly) reported.
>
> I've been trying to fix things up by hand, but maybe I should try
> xf86config; I was reluctant to because it seems to build from scratch,
> rather than from the file I have (but there may be options to do so).

    I didn't see any. I rebuilt from scratch and saved the old one. However,
it wasn't very difficult to do, and it fixed all the problems. I'd like to
know where XF86Setup went. That worked and it was easier to use. If xf86cfg is
to replace it, they shouldn't have gotten rid of XF86Setup until xf86cfg was
stable.

    Mike