Re: Newbie Debian Networking Question (perhaps an easy one for a techie!)

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Martin Marconcini wrote:

>Ok. Lets go again.
>
>- Where are the Debian network configuration files?

/etc/network/*

>- If you did answer NO when asked to config network while installing what
>happens to those files? Do they exist? or they are only created when YES is
>the answer?

They should...I always seem to remember them being there, regardless of my
networking configuration...

>- If they don't exist, what and where must I create them for the OS to start
>networking and routing every time I boot?

dpkg-reconfigure base-config will get the same questions asked again...
I can't remeber if it's in base-config or net-tools, but it can't hurt to
dpkg-reconfigure net-tools as well...

>- I DO have my NIC working. but I DONT know how to change it's settings
>- Every time i boot, I have to do and ifconfig eth0 10.0.0.66 netmask
>255.255.0.0 up , how can i avoid this?

I've already mentioned two ways, I'll elucidate on the first at the end.

>- I dont' have internet access, since the box has no network properly
>configured. EVEN When the nic works .. (but thanks to my knowledge of
>ifconfig... not because it booted like that)

have you set up a route?

Route add default gw <whatever>

>THis is better?
>Now..
>
>- WHere do i set up the default gateway and the dns's ?? ( icreated
>resolv.conf on etc and it seems to work.. even when i can't access internet)

/etc/network/interfaces.  Make it if it doesn't exist

----------put this stuff in----------
auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static