Re: ethernet card installation

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Johnny Blade wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am new to Linux, and have recently installed Debian.
> In my attempts to get connected to my school's
>ethernet, I have found that there is no /dev/eth*'s on
>my system.
>
>I have one network card, a Netgear FA310TX.  I found
>this card in a hardware list with the word "Tulip" in

<cringe>  tulips in Linux are NOT for beginners...

>parentheses next to it, so following the Ethernet
>HOWTO's instructions on how to use ethernet drivers as
>modules I tried to install the card by adding an alias

Did you first try to insmod/modprobe the module to make sure it worked?
Aliasing eth0 is not necessary unless you have two or more NICs: it'll
just go ahead and assume you mean to make the NIC eth0.  Bad news though:
the tulip driver in the 2.2.X kernels is flaky: it's anybody's guess if
your kernel/card combo will work.  If it works, it should work
consistently though.  If it doesn't, try a newer kernel--the driver is
getting it right slowly but surely

>to my aliases file in /etc/modutils.  The line I added
>was "alias eth0 tulip".  This didn't seem to have any
>effect.  There was no /dev/eth*'s after I rebooted.

If modprobe/insmod works, just add tulip to /etc/modules and you'll have
the card up.  Getting it to do what you want is for another part...

>If someone could tell me what I need to do to get
>Debian to recognize my card, and then how to set up
>DHCP, I would be extremely grateful.

I'm assuming pump (the default DHCP client in Debian) is usable in your
networking setup...

edit /etc/network/interfaces

put in the following line

iface eth0 inet dhcp

and you should be golden...  Otherwise, come back with more info and we'll
work from there.