ethernet card installation

Hi,

I am new to Linux, and have recently installed Debian.
 In my attempts to get connected to my school's
ethernet, I have found that there is no /dev/eth*'s on
my system.

I have one network card, a Netgear FA310TX.  I found
this card in a hardware list with the word "Tulip" in
parentheses next to it, so following the Ethernet
HOWTO's instructions on how to use ethernet drivers as
modules I tried to install the card by adding an alias
to my aliases file in /etc/modutils.  The line I added
was "alias eth0 tulip".  This didn't seem to have any
effect.  There was no /dev/eth*'s after I rebooted.

If someone could tell me what I need to do to get
Debian to recognize my card, and then how to set up
DHCP, I would be extremely grateful.

-JB